Email fraudsters target self-assessment refunds

February 4th, 2010  |  Published in Uncategorized

Upadte: One of my clients has received one of these emails. The sender was spoofed as, but a link in the email pointed to a website in Algeria! HMRC will NEVER email you about a refund.

Taxpayers are being targeted by cyber criminals posing as HMRC

Thousands of phishing emails are being sent following the self-assessment deadline

HMRC will only contact taxpayers regarding refunds by post

HMRC has issued a warning to taxpayers about fake emails promising tax repayments which are being sent by fraudsters following the 31 January deadline.

The self-assessment deadline may have passed but taxpayers are still being targeted by cyber criminals posing as HMRC offering tax refunds.

Fraudsters are sending out thousands of phishing emails in a bid to exploit taxpayers waiting to hear to about genuine tax refunds.

The email tells the recipient they are due a tax refund and directs them to an online form to provide bank or credit card details for the ‘rebate’ to be paid into. Anyone providing their details would have their accounts emptied and credit cards used to their limit. The victim also risks having their personal details sold on to other organised criminal gangs.

A spokesperson for HMRC warned: “We only ever contact customers who are due a refund in writing by post. We never use emails, telephone calls or external companies in these circumstances. We strongly urge anyone receiving such an email to send it to us for investigation before deleting it.”

Those who receive any suspicious emails of this nature are advised to:
Check the advice published at to see if the email you have received is listed
Forward suspicious emails to HMRC at and then delete it from your computer/mail account
Do not click on websites, links contained in suspicious emails or open attachments
Follow advice from

If you have reason to believe that you have been the victim of an email scam, report the matter to your bank/card issuer as soon as possible. If in doubt please check with HMRC at


Comments are closed.